Seeking something really unusual to do while visiting St. Peter's (as if visiting this most amazing site weren't enough). For a real treat, make arrangements to visit the excavations BELOW St. Peter's Basilica. It's not easy to find the instructions on the Holy See website and the instructions seem more intimidating than they actually are. But it's well worth the bit of time required to get the proper invite.
It's very cool to be able to walk up to the Swiss Guards and present your entrance letter (the entrance is to the left as you face the Basilica). Remember the Guards take their job very seriously...so be humble and respectful, it will be much easier to gain entrance.
If you've read the Davinci Code, you'll recognize the geographic descriptions along the trip (yes the catacombs do slope up a hill as you near St. Peter's grave).
Combine this with a trip of the Vatican Gardens - that requires separate admission - for an extra special day.
- World's 50 Best Restaurants 2007
- The Boys of Summer 2006
- Sambuca Con Mosca
- Che La Fenice Risorga Delle Ceneri
- Who's The Most Famous Resident of Laglio, Italy?
- Opera Nella Citta Del Romeo e Juliet
- Hiking the CinqueTerre
- Italy's UNESCO World Heritage Sites
- Leonardo da Vinci's 'Il Cenacolo'
- The First Lady of Italian Cooking
- PECK - Milan's Gastronomic Mecca
- Visiting the Excavations BELOW St. Peter's Basilic...
- Finding Great Food In Italy
- ▼ August (14)